Skip to main content

Busy...Busy

It's been a couple days since I've written and boy have I been busy around here. Mom had her follow up appointment after her first treatment yesterday and all looks good and she's having no side effects due to the treatment.

I've been busy in the morning working around the yard trying to get the flowerbeds, potted plants and such in order. Last night "the man of the place" and I cut out what I call weed trees. It's amazing each year how many of these little tree seedlings come up in my flowerbeds.



This bed is in really poor shape and the next one to work on. Beside major weeds there are quite a few unwanted trees.





Yesterday since I wasn't home during the broadcast of Mr Comey testifying before the Senate, I had recorded it all. So yesterday afternoon while resting after getting back from Mom's appt. 
I worked on a new crocheting project watching what I recorded. Have been working on baby blankets but I decided that I would start a patriotic flag Afghan in hopes of having it finished in time for the Fourth of July. 
That way the flag quilt will hang on the wall and this on the couch.


This is what I have so far completed I can't say I'm quite halfway down I thought I would say I'm definitely a third done. Here is a link to the free pattern 



I haven't been able to do much work on my hexies at night due to the fact that I have ran out cardboard shapes and I had ordered some. That was a little over a week ago and haven't received them yet. This is the last ones that I have, enough cardboard hexies for just one more diamond.




And then Tuesday after I had finished the flag quilt I still felt like sewing but I didn't want to work on anything that needed some brainpower. After getting done assembling the storm at sea pattern I had had enough dealing with technical piecing. So I looked in the garage and found a stack of charms squares. Started piecing those together, brainless sewing and that's all I wanted, which is just a brainless sewing. Well that's was Tuesday afternoon.


Then Wednesday I started sewing the squares into rows and put them up on the design wall and I was just going to go with the basic horizontal/vertical row construction. 

Well after looking at it I thought it was kind of small and be a lap quilt which is OK, but I just didn't care for it too much. 



What about on point.... okay that started to look better for me. I left it up there and came back and looked at it and I thought it's in the little too plain.


Well what about sashing in between maybe a four patch. Found some fabric in the closet that was different,  kind of cool. Had thought about a solid but this floral looked better. Put it up on the wall... took a picture and left it up on the wall. 




Went to bed night and while trying to get to sleep and thought you know that 2" sashing just looks a little too thick.



 I think I'll look to see what it looks like thinner. Up there on the design wall made them little thinner and I liked it.
 So now my strip are 1 1/2 instead of 2 inches.
That's what I've been when working on this afternoon, finishing the four patches, cutting out 1 1/2" strips and then putting this all up on the design. Like it.
Well now that is where I am.


Now you're all caught up on what I've been up to the past couple of days.



Comments

  1. I have a lot of "tree weeds" too LOL - they just keep coming in and I cut and try to put up or dig up and they grow more!! one can not get rid of them.
    You have so many patchworks going and all nice. So glad your mom is not having side effects so far - I so hope it progresses this way and that she will recover completely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled to hear your Mum hasn't had any side effects and is coping quite well it must be a relief for you. Love the crochet, that is one of my great loves. Another beautiful quilt in progress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t